Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Arizona Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure Day 1

I don’t even know where to begin.  I will break this down into 3 posts one for each day. 
After months of training and fundraising, the days have finally come and gone.  
I was nervous about the event, not about my ability to perform, I was very confident in my training and preparation.  I was nervous about meeting my tent-mate, the other people, and the emotions that I was sure would be there.  

Day 1 - 20 miles
Hubby and I woke up early.  I shot out of bed with the alarm!  Went into the water closet and on to the shower.  However, before the shower I ended up with the shakes, nausea, and pouring sweat!  That has never happened to me before.  I guess I need to not bolt out of bed.  After a shower and breakfast I was better.  Better so much in fact on the way we stopped at Einstein’s and I got a bagel and a large coffee! 
Hubby dropped me off at the entrance before the parking.  He got my luggage out and gave me a great big hug and told me how proud of me he was.  Told me to remember to have fun, “it’s not a race it’s a walk!”  Yes, dear.  I repeated his words many times that first day.  

A good reminder before the start

Opening ceremonies were fun, moving, sentimental,emotional, and motivational, everything you would think they would be.   
After some music, stretching, and remembrance we were off and walking.First stop the port-o-potties.  There would be a lot of visits here over the course of three days.  
I met up with a lady from New Mexico and we walked together for awhile.  She’s from a very small town so fundraising was limited and difficult but she did it!  We lost each other at a pit stop but the walk must go on.  
Next I kept pace with a lady for awhile and we finally started talking.  She was great and we had a good pace.  We met up with one of her training partners and finished the day together.  

Camp was very organized.  I arrived before my tent-mate so set up the tent and went to shower. 

Dinner was yummy, chicken marsala, rice, salad, veggies, Oreo brownie, and really good coffee.  I even did some studying for my mid-term, that would be the last time I looked at my study guide all weekend.
I returned to my tent and met my tent-mate and her sister.  Chatted with them a bit and then turned it.  That first night was really cold, I tossed and turned and didn’t sleep well.  However, day two I was rearing to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment