Monday, October 10, 2011

Oh Lord it’s hard to be Humble…


...until You put me back in my place.

When I started running, one of the things that I thought about was that by my age my mother was not able to walk down the street let alone run if she had wanted.  The summer before my freshman year in high school she was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis).  It was really hard on her.  She had a teenager, a toddler, and a relatively new marriage.  There were many things that happened over the ensuing years but what I think about now is what if I were in her place?

Feeling down, losing my focus, being scared, and in denial about what I need, what I’ve chosen to do is not productive.  Nor is it worthy of me as a person of whom my creator has given this talent to.  Oh I’m not delusional in thinking that I’m going to win anything, but for some reason God has put this running bug in me.  So who am I to not do it? 

It is at times like these that God reminds me, sometimes with a gentle nudge, sometimes with a FaceBook message, that I need to get my head out of my own messed up brain and just get out there and run. 

I sit here and think about a few friends that I know wish they could go for a walk, play with their kids, make love to their spouse.  They worry about their future or if they will make it through Christmas.  I wish I could reassure them.  I wish I was smart and cure them.  What I can do is be there for them.  I can make that lunch date before it’s too late.  I can tell them that they have made a difference in my life.  I can get up off the couch and go for a run. 

In the wise words of one of the people I am so blessed to call my friend, “…don’t put off those things that bring you joy because you never know when that ability will be taken away.”


No comments:

Post a Comment